Sunday, 21 August 2011

Pret-a-voir....

Every year, as spring descends, I start to think about my summer wardrobe. Apparel and shoes aside, the accessories (as always) require the most consideration- Namely sunglasses! Personally I feel that your eyewear says as much about you, if not more, than your shoes, pocket square or watch. If chosen wisely, your sunglasses can last you a very long time and work in perfect unison with wherever your style takes you. This year I wanted my latest addition to be classic, stylish, timeless and cool- I set out in search of some 'Persol' 714 frames. Regular readers will already be aware of my love-affair with these glasses, but how I came about getting them was also half the fun!



I came across the frame of choice at PRET-A-VOIR but, as I've never worn 'Persol' before, had a few questions regards size/ fit etc. Now, I have to add that some may find purchasing sunglasses online something of a minefield- I had no such problem! After speaking to an advisor, my personal taste and style explained, I was told that PRET-A-VOIR had recently been in receipt of the very limited Steve McQueen Edition (More here) and was thrilled to be told they were readily available in my size and frame colour....Oh, they also include the blue lens as featured in 'The Thomas Crown Affair'.



Without gushing too much, the advice and swift service I received was first rate! Having never purchased shades online before, I couldn't be anymore impressed when my 'Persol' glasses arrived the very next day! But why do I love these sunglasses so much? Allow me to explain in 5 easy ways;
1. Steve McQueen spent most of his life on and off screen wearing them. That alone is reason enough.
2. They look great in a variety of frame and lens colours (Available here).
3. They fold! Great for travel, storage or just pure convenience! Lovely embossed leather pouch included as well!
4. All 'Persol' frames are handcrafted in Italy.
5. Did I mention Steve McQueen wore them?







As well as the SM714 model, PRET-A-VOIR boast a full range of 'Persol' 714 folding frames in several other versatile frame and lens colours here! I personally favour the Dark Havana with Crystal Green lens....




One pair of sunglasses is good, but two or three is even better. By investing in some classic, staple styles that have stood the test of time, you can breathe new life into almost any outfit. Another popular choice, and one I personally hold quite dear is 'Ray-Ban'. The model? It would have to be the 'Clubmaster'. Check out the extensive range and colour choice here. I feel these glasses look back to the easy cool of 'Jazz-era' late 1950's and early 1960's- I'm thinking of Miles Davis whilst pounding the pavements of Madsion Avenue in New York City like Don Draper! I tend to wear the tortoise shell model with crystal green lens for versatility....Great worn with tailoring as well as a laid back summer ensemble!



And finally, whilst on the subject of 'Ray-Ban', you can never go far wrong with the timeless shape of the classic 'Wayfarer'. Iconic and cool, this frame has seen a resurgence of late and is readily available in that many colours you are seriously spoilt for choice! Take your pick here. Again I tend to wear the darker Havana colour- Purely for versatility, I find this shade fits in well with practically anytrhing I wear.




John F. Kennedy and Bob Dylan always looked great sporting the classic 'Wayfarer'....




Regardless of the season, whenever it comes to updating my collection of sunglasses, I will be in touch with PRET-A-VOIR. With advisors who will happily guide you through an extensive collection of brands and styles, I feel confident I will get exactly the frame I desire. From first hand experience I can't recommend these guys enough- Beleive me, I have a habit of being very selective when it comes to eyewear and accessories, but with PRET-A-VOIR I have found a fashion friend for life!

PRET-A-VOIR

Address:
153 Howard Street
Glasgow
G1 4HF
UK

Phone:
0800 954 5689 (UK)
0044 141 237 7375 (Outside UK).

E-Mail:
info@pretavoir-office.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. just get a pair of black wayfarers , game over. Don Johnson brought these back in Miami Vice. Better than the ones above to be honest

    ReplyDelete